
The future of Reinildo Mandava is much more uncertain than seemed like a few days ago. After a report that the Mozambique International was about to achieve an automatic contract extension objective, new doubts about the conditions of his deal was thrown.
Last week it was claimed that Reinildo would earn an extension of a year with his current deal, which will expire this year, if he would appear in 50% of the Atletico Madrid matches this season. Reinildo made his 28th performance of the season on Saturday and Los Rojiblancos will play a maximum of 55 or 56 games this season, depending on their Copa del Rey semi-final result. That would have protected his future in theory.
However, Marca says that the clause was dependent on at least 45 minutes that was played in each appearance to count for that figure. Currently, that has only been the case in 17 of his 28 performances, and so the 31-year-old is almost out of the running to reach that clause. With a maximum of 11 games, Reinildo should play at least half a half in every game before the end of the season. If it includes the Club World Cup, Atletico could play another seven games that would place the total at 62 or 63, but that he would still require that he would appear in at least 14 out of 18 games, something that seems unlikely.
It means that Los Colchoneros must sit at the negotiating table to maintain Reinildo. Left-Back is said to be a priority position for Atletico this summer, but Javi Galan is also not assured of his future. Reinildo was previously linked to Barcelona as a free agent, but that looks increasingly clear because of the shape of Gerard Martin. It is not yet clear what the intentions of his or Atletico are for next season.
Comments